Hanes a dogfennau
History & records


[Cambrian News - Prif tudalen/Main page]

The Cambrian News 1901

4 Jan 1901


including a note of the following:
County councillor: John Jones, Royal Oak, Taliesin
Aberystwyth RDC - Richard Jenkins, Llancynfelin.

11 Jan 1901


TEA. On Friday last by the kind invitation of Mr and Mrs. Thomas, the members of the church Sunday School were entertained to tea, cakes etc. at Glandovey Farm. Over seventy members assembled and all thoroughly enjoyed themselves. During the proceedings several songs and recitations were rendered and the annual prizes for regular attendance were distributed. After a hearty vote of thanks to Mr. and Mrs Thomas, proposed by the vicar, seconded by Mr. Jones, Glanmorfa, and supported by Mr. Newell, an enjoyable afternoon was brought to a close by the singing of "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" and "God Save the Queen".

15 March 1901


Infringement Griffith Williams, Lewis Beechy and John Samuel, miners, were charged with having illegally kept dynamite and percussion caps in their houses and sheds adjoining, contrary to the Explosives Act. PC Thomas said in company with PC Young on February 9th last he visited the defendant Williams house at Tre'rddol, who on being asked if he had any dynamite on the premises produced a four pound packet which he said he had bought from the Penpompren magazine with the intention of removing it to the Penrhyngerwyn mines. On visiting Beechy's house that defendant produced a jug which contained dynamite. The defendant Samuel was absent from home when his residence was inspected but his wife on being questioned produced a shilling bottle of dynamite from one shed and percussion caps from another. When asked neither of the defendants produced certificates. Griffiths and Beechy were fined £1 including costs whilst Samuel was fined £1 and costs.

15 March 1901



An enthusiastic meeting was held at Taliesin on Saturday evening last to congratulate Mr. J M Jenkins, Cerigcyranau, on his arrival home from the war in South Africa, and to present him with a silver cup as a small token of the esteem in which he is held by the inhabitants of the district for his voluntary and patriotic services in the present campaign. Mr. Jenkins went out in 1889 to the Standard Bank of South Africa. He lived in Johannesburg for six years previous to the war. Shortly after his arrival home a committee was formed to collect subscriptions, of which ex-PC William Joseph was treasurer, and Mr. John James Jones, Penpompren, Mochno, secretary. The testimonial consisted of a massive silver cup, bearing the following inscription:- "Presented to Mr. John Jenkins, Cerigcyranau, by his friends in the parish of Llancynfelin and district, as a token of their esteem for his voluntary and patriotic services in the South African war as a member, for twelve months, of Bethune's Mounted Infantry." The chair was taken by the Rev G Roderick, Llancynfelin, who, in his introductory remarks, stated that the only mistake Mr. Jenkins had made was to return home without bringing De Wet with him. Mr. Hugh Jones, Talybont (a blind man) then recited the following englynion composed for the occasion:-

Gwron o gymrawd gwladgarol - yw Jenkins
Estynwn yn siriol
Groesawiad calon gysurol
Ar ei ddychweliad i'w wlad yn ol.

Brawd hyfwyn a dihafal - hyfryd
Rhyfedd ei fod cystal;
Gymro dewr, ei gamrau'n dal
Truenus fywyd y "Transvaal".

Rhagluniaeth fo'n helaethu, - hawddfyd,
Hyfryd ar ei lwybrau;
I'r gwrol gwladgarol i'w grau,
Rho'wn filoedd o fawl floeddiau.

The following is a copy of the programme:- Song, "They all love Jack" Misses Jones, Gwynfryn, the audience joining in the chorus. Address by the Rev T Jenkins, Taliesin, congratulating Mr. Jenkins on his safe return to his native land after fighting for his country. Song "Y Wlad a Garaf Fi" Mr. G Haydn Jones, Aberystwyth. Address by Mr. William Julia, Taliesin. Song "Baby on the shore" Master Basil Jones, Gwynfryn (encored) As an encore Master Basil and Miss Jones sang "I Don't want to play in your Yard". This was loudly cheered, whereupon Mr. Hugh Jones, Talybont, called out:- "Bydd son mwy o Fynwy i Fon Am Gerddorion o goedgwyrddion."

The following stanzas were then read by Mr. William Thomas, Bryngryffty (omitted) Song "Captain Morgan's March" Mr. D O Edwards Taliesin, Address by Rev D Evans Talybont, who also recited a few verses suitable to the occasion. Song "Good News from the War" Dr James, Y Fagwyr (encored) sang as n encore "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" the audience joining in the chorus. The presentation was now made by Mrs Basil Jones who said:- "We have met together this evening by the kind invitation of the Committee to ask Mr. Jenkins to accept a small offering from residents in the neighbourhood in which he was brought up. I am sure the gift will be more valuable to him when he knows the very large numbers who have contributed towards the handsome cup now to be presented. Each of these donors wished to acknowledge the great regard and esteem in which they held their fellow countryman who had of his own accord given up a comfortable berth and enlisted voluntarily in Bethune’s Horse and served his country as a soldier for a years time. The war has brought much sorrow on this land; it has robbed many households of the bright young sons who will never return again, but we must all feel proud to think how willingly volunteers have come forward to serve their country and their sovereign. Members of the highest families have gone to South Africa. Mechanics, artisans, all in receipt of good wages, have flocked to serve under the Union Jack. India, Australia, our colonies, have all been ready to save the land we all love so dearly and to help her in her time of need. Many of us have had those near and dear to us at the front; and during the serious battles which have taken place, have felt great anxieties for their lives. I know it has been a comfort to all that our good Vicar has offered up prayer on their behalf each Sunday since the war began. The tidings now, each day, seem brighter, and under Lord Kitchener’s able generalship we all trust peace may be soon restore to our country. But even then we shall want our army, our navy, our volunteers our militia, our reserves, and for these we must be willing to let our young men go out to fight, and be ready to give them a welcome when they return. I now have much pleasure, in the name of the committee and the subscribers, in asking Mr. Jenkins to accept this cup." Mr. Jenkins suitably responded in Welsh and gave a brief sketch of his experiences in the war from the time the English were ordered out of Johannesburg. They all left that place in high spirits for Delagos bay and in four days sailed for Durban; Mr. Jenkins then went to Ladysmith, saw the battle of Norwal Kop, returned to Durban and enlisted in Bethune's mounted infantry. He fought at Estcourt, Colenso, Spion Kop, and several other battles. Speaking in English he thanked the ladies who had sent articles of clothing and other necessities to the soldiers at the front. He also thanked those who had contributed towards the cup. - Mrs Basil Jones said it had been a great pleasure to her and her friends to send out parcels and she was now very glad to find that they were appreciated. On the motion of the Rev G Roderick a very hearty vote of thanks was passed to Mrs Basil Jones for the interest she had taken in the movement. The Rev T Jenkins proposed and Dr James seconded a vote of thanks to the Chairman, which was carried with acclamation, after which "God Save the King" was sung. Dr James first of all singing the following verse by Rev E Phillips, Newcastle Emlyn:-

Preswylydd mawr y berth
I'n brenin bydd y nerth,
Ac arwain ef;
Bendithier Prydain Fawr
A'r Brenin ar bob awr,
A llewyrch teg y wawr
A ddaw o'r nef.

26 April 1901


Obituary The death of Mr. David Rowland Ellis, eldest son of Mrs M M Evans, Tanllan, occurred on Tuesday morning last after a long and painful illness. The deceased young man was a brother to the Rev J J Ellis, vicar of Nevin, and the Rev W J Evans, Lampeter. The funeral will take place at Llancynfelin on Saturday next at 1.30pm.

10 May 1901

The late Mr. John Jones, Penpompren Mochno

(by a correspondent)

Mr. John Jones died on Thursday April 25th after two days illness, and was interred in the Llancynfelin new burial ground on the following Tuesday. He was an ordinary man; never did anything to astonish his neighbours; never wrote a book, and read few besides the Bible. the book of nature, and the book of men, in all which he was fairly proficient; never invented a plough or any other implement, but ploughed, sowed and gathered in the harvest in due season: was not a holder-forth at prayer meetings, but was a regular and reverent worshipper at the Parish Church; he was a keen and practical politician, but let others do the public talking. He had no exceptional gifts, but what gifts he possessed he wasted not, but used faithfully and unselfishly like a wise and good man. He was the kind of man that raises the standard and tone of life of a place. That his life had been thoroughly appreciated, and that he was held in high esteem, was amply evident by the unusually large attendance at the funeral. Welsh funerals are generally largely attended - a custom that tends to invest death with greater reverence and dignity - but this one was the largest remembered in the parish and neighbourhood, with exception of that of the late Bishop of St Davids. There were no fewer than seventeen clergymen present - a circumstance remarked by all.

This is all the more remarkable when it is recollected where he lived for the last fifty or sixty years at Penpompren Mochno, miles away from any village, which naturally limited his sphere of activity and influence. Within the radius of a mile there are only some eighteen houses and within two miles there are no more than thirty-five, excluding the new houses on Moel Ynys. In times past Penpompren was more isolated than it is today. If a bridge were constructed from Aberdovey to Taliesin, a distance of about six miles, there was a time, not far remote that it would have to be of four spans, the first extending from Aberdovey to Ynyslas, the second from Ynyslas to Ynys Mochno, the third from there to Ynys-y-Gwynfryn, and the fourth from there to Taliesin. Ynyslas, Ynys Mochno, and Ynys-y-Gwynfryn - three small islands - were the only spots where foundations could have been secured for the supports of a bridge to join the two mainlands, the rest being the morass or under water. Even within the last century there was no cart road between Taliesin and Ynyslas, only a rough boggy bridle path with small wooden bridges over ditches. Penpompren signifies the end of one such bridge. Heavy goods were carried in baskets or sacks on horseback. Neither was there an embankment to keep out the se at high tie. Such was the state of things not long before Mr. Jones was born.

He belonged to an interesting old family. The Shamsod, Shon Shams, i,e, John James, lived in the eighteenth century at Tanygraig, now called Tymawr Mochno, which he owned, together with Goetre Fach and Goetre Fawr, and had the following children, who all settled down in the parish and brought up large families - David, James, William, Thomas and Betty. Betty married Siencyn Evans, Goetre. She loved animals and to have them as near her as possible day and night. She occupied one end of the house, the cow the other, and the pig resided in the passage, whose warm breath in winter answered the purpose of a stove. The fowls had the run of the whole house - Betty used to kill the pig herself with the assistance of two or three picked young men who would take a serious view of the sacrifice. Occasionally three serious youths, overcome by the tragic or comic aspects of the function would, when the priestess held the knife ready to strike, let go the victim, which immediately took advantage of its liberty and sought refuge under the bed or table. Thomas , or Twm Shon Shams, as he was called, had a small holding at Craigypenrhyn, and was the father of the late James James, still remembered as "James y Graig" and Ann Roberts. William, called Will Shon Shams, lived at Llanerch, and was the father of the late James Jones, (Wesleyan Minister) Bess Morgan, William Jones (Llanerch) and Mary, the mother of James Jones late of Free Trade Hall, Taliesin. James married Ann, daughter of William Lewis, Tyhwnt, and lived at Bryngruffty, Ynyslas, and Dolenydd. The late William James, Gelly, was his son. David, or Dafydd Shon Shams, married Jane of Argoed and lived at Goetre. From them are descended the Goetre group of the Shamsod, an exceedingly large and influential group, quite a clan, and the late John Jones, Penpompren, was for some years past their laird. Dafydd Shon Shams had a large family, but the writer only remembers two of them: (1) Margaret Morris, Goetre, the mother of Jane Joel, Rock House, Eliza Rees, Tre'rddol, and Ann Edwards, Aberdovey; (2) James Jones who married Mary, daughter of Mr. Morgan Excise Officer, Machynlleth, and had the following issue: David (deceased) Goetre, John (deceased) Penpompren, James, Tymawr, Evan, for many years incumbent of the Welan church, London, and now king of Cors Fochno; Owen (deceased) vicar of Llanfair juxta Harlech: Mary (deceased) mother of Capt. D Williams, Tre'rddol: Margaret Davies, Diana House, Borth, Jane Jones (deceased) Goetre: Eliz Edwards, near Ruthin: Sarah Edwards, Rhyl: and Ann Arter, Taliesin. John Jones married Jane Jones of Penpompren and has left the following children: John, who succeeds on the farm and to the Goetre Fach properties; James, curate of Holyhead; Mary, Margaret t, Anne; Jane, wife of the Rev J D Lewis, vicar of Pencarreg; Sarah and Elizabeth, for all of whom much sympathy is felt in their bereavement.

It is a moot point whether the family name should be Jones or James. The old man of Tanygraig Mochno - their forefather - was called Shon Shams i.e. John James; the Dolenydd branch has retained that surname, and so did the Llanerch branch until recently, when they changed it for Jones. They are called Shamsod and not Shonsod and the late Bishop of St Davids was of the opinion that James is the correct patronymic. The formation of surnames, both Welsh and English, is an interesting study, but the subject cannot be pursued any further in the present connection. These details are somewhat dry and only of local interest, but they concern a large number of readers of the Cambrian News and are of immense interest to them and their friends and neighbours.

In his early days Mr. John Jones was connected with the hat manufacture at Goetre, at that time a thriving industry in the neighbourhood.. There were three small manufactories at Goetre, conducted by James Jones, William James and John Evans, each employing several men. In the parish of Llancynfelin there were at least a dozen other such works. It was principally felt and beaver hats that were made - all handwork. But in consequence of the introduction of machinery and the importation of French hats, the hat industry of Llancynfelin suddenly expired about half a century ago. One cannot help thinking that if machinery had been introduced here, as it was at such places at Stockport and Denton, large centres of the hat industry there is no telling but that Goetre, Taliesin and Tre'rddol would now be in a position to compete successfully with them, and that the young men would be manufacturers instead of parsons, farmers and miners. By the way, it is a remarkable parish for raising parsons, no fewer than twelve being in holy orders in the Church of England at the present time. The late Bishop of St David’s was a Llancynfelin man, and is buried there. Then there are several in the Wesleyan ministry, the present Superintendent Minister of the Aberystwyth Circuit being one of them. It is to be hoped that they are made of as serviceable stuff as the old hats and the old hatters were.

It was not to his family connections that John Jones owed his popularity, but mainly to his own sterling, personal qualities and character - his strong personality. There was in him a combination of noble qualities. He was sociable, hospitable, upright, industrious, liberal-minded, liberal-handed, public spirited, honourable, and true. and therefore respected by all, whatever their class, creed or politics. There was always a welcome at Penpompren, and a pleasant chat with refreshing cup of tea or a glass of fresh milk over a pipe of peace. He took a deep interest in whatever tended to the improvement and welfare of the parish. There was no useful, movement started that had not the support of John Penpompren. He had a tender heart, and deeply sympathised with all sorts and conditions in trouble and sickness. He wept with them that wept, and rejoiced with them that rejoiced. When taken ill on the road he had been visiting a sick person in Tre'rddol. He knew from long experience what sickness was, for his beloved wife, who predeceased him by two or three years, was an invalid for the most part of their married life. There never was a more loving and devoted husband, nor a more exemplary father and neighbour. Herein, no doubt, lay the secret of his strength and favour with men. R.I.P.

14 June 1901


Assault David Morgan, labourer, Taliesin, was charged by David Roberts, tailor, Taliesin, with having assaulted him on April 4th. The complainant stated that shortly after ten o'clock, on April 4th, when returning from the direction of Tre'rddol, the defendant approached him and asked him if he had any powder in his possession. He (complainant) replied that he had better not come too near, as he might have some. The defendant replied that he would like to have a round with him, and coming up to him put his fist under his jaw, afterwards striking him (the complainant) on the side of the head. - John Owen Roberts, the complainant's son, said he saw the defendant on top of his father on April 4th. His father and the defendant were not friends. - A fine of £2 with costs was imposed.

21 June 1901


MEDICAL. Mr. Owen Williams, elder son of Capt. D Williams, returned from South Africa the other day after 14 months service as a medical officer. He was looking quite fit after enduring the hardships of war and an attack of enteric fever. On his arrival home he was greeted with a sincere but unostentatious welcome.

28 June 1901


On Tuesday at the Town Hall, Mr. F R Roberts, undersheriff and a jury ....sat to assess damages sustained Miss Susannah Roberts of Wesley Terrace, Taliesin, against one Margaret Beechy, Penpontbren, Taliesin, for slanders uttered by the latter in April last. The undersherif explained that the action was brought in the high court by Miss Roberts and the judgement given by default. The duty of the jury therefore would not be to try any questions between the parties but merely to say what amount of damages the plaintiff is entitled to under the judgement.

Mr. N P Owen, solicitor, appeared for the plaintiff. The defendant was not present nor was she represented.

Mr. Owen said she was a young married woman, thirty one years of age, and the wife of Rd. Roberts. Her husband had been working in South Wales for the last three years, leaving the wife and children, as was customary in this neighbourhood, at home. This was an important element in this case, the plaintiff being without the protection of her husband. She had to protect her fair name and children - one of the age of seven and the other four. The allegation was that about the month of April she had a miscarriage. Her husband had not been home since April 1900. Not only a miscarriage, but a miscarriage by a married man. That was practically the allegation which had been made against this poor woman. Curiously enough the allegation was in respect of a man well known to all of them, and that was ex-Police Constable Joseph. The allegation was that Susannah Roberts threw over and forgot her husband and duty to her children, as their mother, and let herself loose to this man, and had a miscarriage by him. He would call Susannah Roberts and her own sister, to whom the whole allegation was made. Upon that allegation he was there that day. The defendant was also a person not in the highest circumstances of life, but he was told she was in receipt of £20 a year. Remarking that there was an impression in the country that people could not be punished for allegations of this nature, Mr. Owen said that these proceedings were taken more for stopping this slander, and the only way would be by inflicting substantial damages.

...(description of steps taken, letters written and ignored etc., omitted)...

This was not an ordinary slander. It affects the homes of two people. Ex-Constable Joseph had been married for something like thirty six years, and these vile stories had got to the ears of his wife, and his home had become uncomfortable. Having as a matter of fact borne an unblemished character during the twenty seven years he served in the Cardiganshire police force was it to be taken away by the vile accusation of a woman like the defendant? It had told upon Joseph, and he was practically half the man he was some time ago. His client was suffering from hemorhage in April, Mr. Owen added, and the doctor would tell them it was absolutely untrue she had a miscarriage. He asked for substantial damages against the defendant who protected herself by her absence.

Mrs Susannah Roberts, the plaintiff, said she was thirty one years of age and lived at Wesley Terrace, Taliesin. Her husband had worked at Ferndale at different times of the year. He was at home last Easter, and previous to that he was at home Christmas time. They had been married nine years and had two children, both girls, the eldest being seven and the other four. Since Christmas, she had lived with her two children at Taliesin. About Christmas, witness noticed a change in the neighbours towards her, but did not know the cause of it at that time. On Thursday the 18th of April, she met Margaret Beechy when she made the allegations. Witness had not quarrelled with the defendant up to that time. She had known ex-PC Joseph about four years. There was no truth in the defendants allegations, neither had she walked out with Joseph, nor had he been in her house courting her or anything of that kind. He had never kissed her or had connection with her. Since she heard the allegation in April witness had heard it repeated several times. She was attended by Dr Rowland in April. She did not have a miscarriage. A certificate by Dr Rowlands showing that the defendant was suffering from hemorhage was also produced. Catherine A Jones spoke of having heard the defendant utter the allegations constituting the slander.

Wm. Joseph, formerly member of the Cardiganshire police, stated there was not a word of truth in the allegations. He had never walked out with Mrs Roberts and the last time he was in her house was on December 2nd 1899, when he went there to serve a summons on the plaintiff's nephew.

Mrs Jones, recalled, said the defendant was a servant at Penpompren and received £20 a year.

The court was then cleared, and returning after a short deliberation the Jury awarded £10 damages and costs. The also expressed the belief that the defendant should be made to apologise to Mr. Joseph.


Dr Owen Williams, son of Mr. David Williams, Cletwr Hall, has returned home after fourteen months service as medical officer at the front. Dr Williams was first at No.1 General Hospital, Wynberg, the largest at the seat of war, and afterwards at Bloemfontein and the Volks Hospital, Pretoria. Then he joined a column, consisting of Rhodesians, B.S.D. Police, Australian Bushmen and Tasmanians, and having with them the C.I.V. Battery and the Canadian Artillery, and commanded by General Baden-Powell. He was present at Commando Nek, N.W. of Pretoria, when De Wet, with 4000 men called upon B.P. to surrender, and then immediately decamped, Baden-Powell chasing him as far north as Warmbathe, having a skirmish with the Boers at Maman's Kraal, here Colonel Speckley, of the Rhodesians, was killed. At Warmbathe, General Baden-Powell all but captured the Boer convoy, and succeeded in releasing 200 men of the Munster Fusiliers. Dr Williams was subsequently with Colonel Plummer's forces which chased De Wet, among the force being some Welsh Yeomanry of whom he speaks very highly. This was continually on the march, and they often came in contact and had skirmishes with commandos under Delarey, Grobler, Erasmus and Viljoen. With Viljoen they had an all day engagement at Rhenoster Kop, in the Transvaal, compelling the Boers to evacuate a very strong position, but with a loss of eighty killed and wounded; amongst the former being Colonel Lloyd, of this county, who was killed outright whilst leading the West Ridings to the attack. Amongst those wounded there were nine officers, five of them belonging to one squadron of the New Zealanders, who had only shortly before that joined the column. Dr Williams had sole charge of the convoy of sick and wounded for three days until they were transferred to the "Prince Christian" hospital train at Brouker Spuit Station for Pretoria. Sometimes he would ride several miles away from the column to recover the injured, a not uncommon thing for medical men to do, on one occasion he trekked a distance of nearly thirty miles, crossing three drifts by himself and an orderly, with an oxen ambulance, through a mountainous district of the bush veldt, and where Boers were known to be located on the hills en route, but managed to get through unmolested by marching all night and until he rejoined his column. Enteric fever he considers to be of a more virulent type in South Africa than at home; patients being more liable to complications. He himself contracted it whilst on the field, along with another officer, belonging to the New Zealanders, who developed it at the same time. They trekked some distance and then got into a hospital in Pretoria, both being dangerously ill, the other officer in a few days succumbing to this dire disease. Dr Williams, though, was on duty again within five weeks from the first day he was outside his hospital tent, taking medical charge of troops on board transports between Cape Town and Durban, which is rather responsible work because of the prevalence of plague at Cape Town. He often came in contact with Boers - prisoners and patients, and where they captured a laager he treated the women and children, who at first were rather timed, but in a day or two soon gained confidence and he got on well with them.

16 August 1901



The death took place recently at Pantglas farm of Mr. David Richards, who was only twenty four years of age, and had not long ago married and gone to live there. On the day he died he had been working hard all day until late in the evening. On retiring to bed he was suddenly seized with a fit, expiring in a short time. A doctor was summoned to see him but it was too late. Death was attributed to heart failure. Deceased had been complaining of a pain in his side for some days, but had not consulted anyone. The funeral was a very large one. Much sympathy is shewn towards deceased's wife and father, Mr. Thomas Richards, for many years farm bailiff at Lodge Park.


On Wednesday afternoon, August 7th, a successful sale of work in aid of the Improvement of Living was, by the kind permission of Mrs Basil Jones, held in the Gwynfryn grounds. The different tables were prettily and tastefully arranged under the shade of the trees in front of the mansion, and were presided over as below. The sale was opened by Mrs Basil Jones in the following words:- "I wish to say a few words of thanks to all those kind friends who have come together to help me today. Our object is to improve the living of Llangynfelyn. My husband did it three times, and I have twice before held sales of work, today is the third time I have done what I could myself and solicited the aid of our other parishioners. We all feel that our clergyman is the one we look to for sympathy both in joy and in sorrow, and Mr. Roderick is ready to help us at all times. We are told in the bible that "Those who preach the gospel shall live of the Gospel". It is therefore our duty to do what we can for their comfort and help. My dear husband started a fund for the improvement of the smaller livings of the diocese, which meets every pound we give by another pound, and the Commissioners of Queen Anne's Bounty, again meet this sum with another grant. This fund has the sympathy and efficient aid of the Lord Bishop of this diocese. I trust we may be successful in our effort today." Master Basil Jones also spoke, and referring to the numerous and various articles displayed for sale, said that he hoped all had come there with willing hearts and with full purses to be freely emptied. He also wished to remind them of a lady - Aunt Sally - whom he had purposely brought down from London for the occasion, trusting that no-one would leave the grounds without paying her a visit. After a most hearty vote of thanks to Mrs and Master basil Jones the sale commenced and resulted as follow:- Mrs Basil Jones, Mrs Barker and the children, Mrs Parsonage and Miss Elton, £16 5s 7 1/2d. Mrs Roderick £12 6s 9 1/2d, Mr. and Mrs Hawketts, tea table, £5 3s 3d., "Aunt Sally" and other games £1 1s 11d.: gate money, £2 16s 6d., gramophone, 4s. 5d.; total £37 18s 8d. Mr. Wheatley's gramophone contributed very materially to the pleasure of the afternoon. Thanks are due to him as well as to all the others who rendered kind help.

6 September 1901


Drainage of Taliesin.

The Inspector reported that the Committee appointed to consider the drainage of Taliesin met at Aberystwyth. They recommended that owners of land in that portion of the village should construct a channel drain similar to the one already constructed by Mr. Pugh, Post Office, in front of his property. The Inspector read letters from three owners stating that they were prepared to do this. It was agreed to adjourn the matter for a fortnight to see whether other owners would agree, failing which the Council would form a separate drainage district and construct a drain at the expense of the inhabitants.


...lengthy report including...
Aged ram section: The first prize taker, owned by Mr. Jones, Gwarcwmbach, was a small animal but it had good wool and was of the true Welsh mountain type.
Yearling ram: Mr. Jones, Gwarcwmbach, took first and second with fine growing sheep, having good wool.
Pen of five ewes: Mr. Jones, Gwarcwmbach, clearly first with a more uniform sheep than its competitors.

Six keeping apples: Jacob Rees, Tre'rddol.

4 October 1901


The Byelaws.

Mr. Daniel Edwards, Taliesin, appeared before Council to explain why he had not made a damp course in building his house in accordance with the plans he had supplied the Building Committee and in accordance with the bye-laws. Mr. Edwards ingenuously explained that he thought he could do what he liked with his own and knew nothing about bye-laws or anything else. (Laughter). He might say, however that the foundation was very dry. In view of the fact that Mr. Edwards had stopped building immediately on being asked to do so, the Surveyor was instructed to see whether the foundation was dry enough to do away with the necessity for a damp course, and if possible to obviate the necessity for pulling down the building. Mr. John Hughes, the building inspector, said he came across the mistake accidentally and suggested that the builders should send him a notice when making the damp course as well as when they had finished the building. It was agreed to ask the builder to do this.

11 October 1901

Talybont Petty Sessions

Rees Jones, Tre'rddol was charged by S D Jones Llwynybuarth, with having laid net to catch rabbits. Defendant who admitted the offence was fined 5s. and costs.

25 October 1901



The Rev E. Isaac, a native of this neighbourhood, who is now superintendent of the Merthyr Tydfil Wesleyan circuit, won the carved oak chair at the Ebbw Vale Eisteddfod, on the 7th October, for the best poem on "The Mother". The competitors numbered forty five.

29 November 1901


Medical Officer's Report

...had to report a case of enteric fever at Taliesin...which occurred near and opposite the spot where the drainage was bad. There was also a manure heap too close to that house.

(NLW Meicroffilm)

[Cambrian News - Prif tudalen/Main page]

[Brig y dudalen/Top of page][Hawlfraint/Copyright]