LLANCYNFELYN is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the road from Aberystwyth to Machynlleth, 3 miles from Ynyslas station, on the Cambrian railway, and 9 north-north-east from Aberystwyth station, on the Cambrian and Great Western railways, hundred, union and county court district of Aberystwyth, petty sessional division of Upper Geneu'r-Glyn, rural deanery of Llanbadarn fawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's. The church of St. Cynvelin, restored in 1845, is an ancient building of stone, consisting of nave, aisles, transept, south porch, and a small turret, containing 1 bell. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1770, marriages, 1754, burials, 1772. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, with 1 acre of glebe, and residence, in the gift of Basil Jones esq. and held since 1906 by the Rev. John Phillips B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. There are Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. The Cletwr Valley in this neighbourhood is a great attraction to visitors, and about a mile west is Bedd Taliesin, the reputed burial place of the famous Welsh bard, Taliesin, who flourished in the 6th century. Lodge Park is the seat of John James esq. J.P. ; the mansion is a stone edifice, in a park of 100 acres, and commands fine views of the surrounding country ; Capt. Sir Edward John Webley-Parry-Pryse bart. of Gogerddan, Bow Street, and the trustees of the late Mrs. W. Basil Joncs are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 5109 acres of land. 5 of inland and 155 of tidal water and 1,259 of foreshore; rateable value, £3,140; the population in 1911 was 683.
Parish Clerk, Richard Davies.
Post & M. O. & T. Office, Taliesin (letters should have Cardiganshire added).. Evan Pugh, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 7-25 a.m; dispatched at 5.20 p.m.
Wall Letter Box, Church wall, cleared 4.15 p.m. week days
Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1871, for 180 children; average attendance 110; James Jones, master.